Today was one for me.
It was a rough day — one of those why try type days.
I know I’m alive; I should be thankful. Don’t get me wrong, I am. But I know precisely why my day stunk.
It’s a repeat of my old high school days where I spent the night before up all night playing video games.
Only, now I wake up from an enjoyable sleep for no reason at 2 AM. I could not go back to sleep. When I finally finagled my way back to sleep, it was too late.
I’m usually a good sleeper. I even did a sleep meditation.
Today got me thinking, what can I do that could turn this day around?
Top Ten List
Here is the list I came up with:
- Pray — Take a moment to thank God and show gratitude outside myself.
- Gratitude — Take note of those you are grateful for and reasons for gratefulness.
- Take A Nap — It’s a no-brainer but often not possible at work.
- Journal — I am usually more reactive when tired. Journaling helps me get thoughts out before I go super Saiyan on someone.
- Exercise — It’s too far down the list, but I’m too tired to move it up. It’s important and helpful on rough days.
- Call Somebody — Reaching out to a loved one is often good. Just stay away from the toxic ones.
- To-do List Mastery — Sometimes, getting busy can keep me from stopping and noticing a bad day.
- Meditation — Here is another that should be higher. It’s a big help to get mindful at the moment.
- Read — Open a book or Medium and read away. Escape a little bit into something useful.
- YouTube & Chill — Cut yourself a break. If it’s a rough day, relax a little bit. Find an aimless tangent and go down the rabbit hole.
These are not in a particular order, but it’s things I try when I have a rough day.
Which have you tried or which have I missed?